Friday, February 25, 2011

Teaching

After many years of exhibiting my work in commercial galleries, and with an economic downturn forcing my NY gallery to close, I have begun teaching painting workshops. Teaching is a new discovery for me and opens up what I do as a painter to a whole new audience. I find students are very eager to learn about painting and to absorb whatever knowledge and experience I have to share. It's very gratifying to me to have an audience which is enthused about painting and how an artist uses his/her craft as a form of self expression. This is very different from what I have grown accustomed to in the world of exhibiting and selling through commercial art galleries. In commercial galleries it's mostly about creating a commodity which can be marketed and sold to a much different audience....one which (to varying degrees) doesn't know much at all about art and can often put pressure on an artist to keep doing the same thing over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment